Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Zombie Afternoons

I do my walks in the afternoons, usually on commercials streets, sometimes by the waterfront. The parks are closed.
Yesterday, hundreds were out by the water, Hudson River. I keep to the right, head down, mask sliding a bit. I make some contact, noting all the couples. I haven't spoken to anyone in days.
The cyclists speed past, a bit recklessly I think, but I'm old. When my 50 minute walk is done, I choose a bench and read my book. A young woman wearing a face shield passes and is stopped by several women on the bench next to me. They ask where she got it and she informs them One Nation, com One woman takes her picture. I make a note to look it up. That shield is damn impressive.
After an hour of reading I head into the nearby Acme and buy a carton of slaw. The brand is Grandpa's Cole Slaw.
It's not bad, but not on the level of Thumans. Shoprite has their own decent brand. The worst and cheapest is Walmart's brand. No depth. Slaw needs depth.
The Zombie atmosphere is broken up by actual conversation. People are talking to each other.
It's a start.
Later, I can't find that shield company. Maybe it's for the best. I might have gotten claustrophobic.

No comments:

Post a Comment