Friday, July 5, 2013

Broken Lunch Date

I had a lunch date set up with a friend today and messaged her if I could pick her up around noon. She replied that she was instead going to the Meadowlands Fair, which I assume is at night. Strangely, I wasn't disappointed. I wasn't sure we had much to talk about and after getting my car serviced I didn't want to spend more money.
I wish I were more social. But I am who I am and I won't beat myself up over it. I can get some work done this morning. A library is showing Lincoln, which is a very long film. It's too hot out to do anything. Never depend on others to determine your mood. When I was younger I would have been incensed. I mean, if you tell me you've been planning to go to the fair and yet you agreed to have lunch only a week before, what does that say about you?
I've learned to distance myself from disorganized, flighty people. Life is too short.
Tonight, if it cools off, I'll go to Midsummer Nights Swing and watch others sweat on the dance floor. I am a writer and we observe. That's what we do. Now I'll head to Staples where I have a $5 coupon and a craving for printer ink.
I'll then have lunch at McDonald's, enjoy my ice coffee and read the paper. And not brood.

No comments:

Post a Comment