Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The Wild Card

Our handball team, the Weehawken Wallbangers was undefeated. We had a match with the Miami Smackers, led by Rico Gonzales, who always had something up his sleeve.
As we warmed up I realized tonight would be no different. 60000 fans, full ESPN coverage. And who walks out of their dressing room?
Marco Hernandez. 7'3, with an 8 and a half foot wingspan. His arms reached below his knees. He could cover the whole court without moving.
The Wild Card, signed to a contract hours before.
I threw up inside my mouth.
I prayed he would pull a muscle during stretching. My team looked beaten already.
Suddenly the giant began heaving up his guts. He collapsed, had to be carried off. I was stunned. Someone in the first row caught my eye. My uncle Esquivar, who owned a burrito place nearby. A place Hernandez may well have dined at that day. He smiled and gave me the thumbs up.
Family is so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment