Friday, May 4, 2018

Undiscovered Land

I found it on a hiking trip in West Canada. I had on my snow shoes and used ski poles to propel myself through rugged, snow covered terrain. About an hour in, I stood at the crest of a hill staring down at a green expanse of land, nothing like anything around it.
I descended and traversed this strange, bucolic field. I saw a cave. About 30m feet away from it I spotted a man exiting. He wore a suit and tie and was followed by two dozen others, similarly clad.
I overcame my shock and asked who they were. The first man spoke for the group.
We are laid off book editors, he explained. We have survived out here ever since our severance packages ran out. There is nothing to edit. The world is one giant tweet.
I nodded and assured them their secret was safe with me. I told them Phillip Roth retired three years ago and they sobbed as one.

No comments:

Post a Comment