Saturday, February 7, 2015

Constant Craving

Last year it was hummus. I couldn't get enough of it. I put it on bread, rolls, crackers, people's forearms. I went from market to market seeking illegal imported hummus, wound up in a dark alley exchanging money for North African concoctions.
Then suddenly I lost my taste for it. Who knows why? There was a void that cherry tomatoes, yams, and squash couldn't fill. I became jittery and quick tempered.
All the while the solution was right in front of me.
Avocados.
Those pear shaped green demons. I barely got home with a bag before tearing off the skin and gobbling down half a dozen. I was an avocado pig. I had a problem.
One day I was standing on the cashier line holding three full bags of them when two uniformed officers pulled me into a back room. The Guacamole Police. I had exceeded the state's monthly allotment. We were shipping them to Ohio where there was an avocado shortage. I was put on probation.
My friends are happy. They had gotten sick of having guacamole licked off their fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment