Friday, July 25, 2014

Buyout

I am executing a writer buyout. I am surrounded by annoying writers with plenty of ideas they can't organize into anything cogent. I am offering a barter deal. Give me your ideas and I'll teach you sleight of hand magic.
It's not that I lack ideas. I force feed my concepts onto my laptop until I have a story. I am a cluster bomb of ideas. Believe me, I have plenty of ideas.
Other writers stockpile theirs until the whole mess is covered with asbestos and mold, cracked and useless. This morning I sat across from a writer who pitched a concept where he personified buildings and bridges. They are sick of working 24/7 and not getting compensated and proceed to disrupt the entire infrastructure of the city. A solid, potentially lucrative story opportunity he was doing nothing with. So I bartered a trick involving cuff links and a tie pin for that idea. He seemed almost relieved not to be responsible for following through on it.
If these deals continue, I will have an idea monopoly. If things become too unwieldy I may subcontract some to starry eyed college students looking to become writers. Whatever I decide, I will not let good ideas waste away in the cloud, where ever that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment