Saturday, December 19, 2015

Intricate Work

I dreaded this day. I stared up at the kitchen light fixture. The bulb had burnt out.
I had a replacement and a ladder. What I lacked was confidence. I can do this, I whispered.
I set up the ladder and climbed to the third step, body shaking. I carefully removed the glass cover to reveal the traitorous bulb. I descended and lay the cover on the table, body sweat soaked. Maybe I should take a break. No, I needed to build momentum. I climbed back up and slowly unscrewed the old bulb, caressing it against my chest as I went down. Some might have brought the new bulb up on the previous trip, but I didn't want to press my luck.
I should have stretched out beforehand. My shoulders were tight. I reached up and carefully began screwing. As soon as it was tight, I let out a sigh. I let myself down deliberately. When my feet hit the floor my heart stopped pounding. Safe.
I walked to the wall switch, praying for success. I couldn't go through  the whole process again. It was now or never.
I reached out and flipped the switch.
Thankfully, it burst into light. I sobbed. Now I would have to call the Super to replace the glass cover. Because I know my limitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment