Thursday, March 23, 2017

The Bookstore

I'm in this bookstore a lot. I'm a writer, so I notice everything and what I see is this: one or two clerks manning the register, another at the coffee stand--and no one else on the floor.
But there is a door in the back and young employees are constantly coming out and going back in. They are flushed and in a hurry, looking serious. I hesitate to stop them, even to ask a book question.
This has been going on for months since the store opened.
I do not believe this is a real bookstore. I think it is a front for something very sinister. What makes it more curious is all these young people look so clean cut and innocent.
There are a number of possibilities. Sex orgies. Maybe, not likely. Not disheveled enough. A secret police spying headquarters. I can see that. A group of hackers focused on destroying Barnes and Noble. No, B&N is going down by its own self.
Some sort of smuggling operation. Priceless bookmarks? Fountain pens? Magnets?
I sense some of these people are trained killers despite their preppy appearance.
I should find another store, but their coffee is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment