Thursday, October 22, 2020

The Fall

 She sits on the bench in front of CVS. Greets everyone. Easily in her seventies. Angular face. So polite to everyone. I soke to her once. We both were reading books. She said she reads everything but romances. Mentioned a daughter.

I see her there almost every single day. You see, at some point she asks everyone for spare change. Most ignore her. I'm wondering if she gets Social Security, food stamps, welfare, Medicaid. It must be a rent controlled apartment.

I'm sitting on another bench, but I can hear her panhandling. Always says thank you, no matter the response. Then suddenly I realize it's been quiet. I look over and see a small crowd. Walk over there. She is lying unconscious on the ground. Curled up like a child. Did she trip? Faint? EMS comres, followed by police. The volunteer tries to get her to speak. What's your name? she repeats. No response.

I decide to leave. Too sad. I wonder what will become of her. It happens that fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment