Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Overdue

"You get one phone call."
Winston stood over me, glowering. We were locked in a basement room of the library. He pointed his scanner at me.
"You know me," I pleaded. "I've been checking out books here for years."
"Three weeks overdue. Who do you think you're dealing with? Don't play games with me. Produce the book or you get one call."
I swallowed and took out my cell; caled my friend, Marsha.
"You must vouch for me. God knows what they have planned. Are you sure I didn't leave it at your place?"
"What book are you talking about?"
"Where the Wild Things Are."
"Fiend. There's a waiting list for that book. My nephew craves it. How could you hog it?"
"I misplaced it."
"You may as well have misplaced a rose garden. How can I vouch for a thief?"
"I am no thief. Just careless."
She clicked off and I was alone again.

Excerpt from Twilight People-Switchblade Stories, available on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment