Saturday, May 5, 2012

Across the Table

I am having a serious conversation with the person next to me about writing. The usual stuff--our books, blogs, projects, marketing. We are both making excellent points as we wait for our food. It is crowded and our table consists of a bunch of talkers. Well, actors. Actors cannot wait to expound, to launch into stories, blurt opinions, be witty.
Directly opposite me are three people who are laughing at each others' comments. Quite hard, with wide open mouths and heads thrown back. A part of me wants very much to know what is so funny. Then I would like to contribute something even funnier because I am a writer and they are actors and my wit should be greater than theirs. At the same time, at the far end of the table, people are comparing movies, which I also enjoy doing. But I refuse to end the serious conversation between writers because writing is my life and how dare these people not realize that and show some interest in my work instead of the certainly inane topics they're chatting about. In addition, the Yankees are playing on the overhead TV and I'm trying to watch that.
I can multitask. At a pause in my conversation I will interject a movie opinion for that group, and throw out a witticism to the people across from me. So I will be juggling three conversations at once. And chewing chicken tenders and fries. And rooting for the Yanks.
I hate socializing in restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment