Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sounding Board

I'm not doing this. I've done it before and it's ridiculous. I'm referring to being a sounding board for a hot woman, who needs to discuss the men interested in her. Or about her former boyfriend.
 I can sit there calmly and nod and maybe ask a question or offer advice. Later, I will ask myself why I just didn't tell her to forget about them and go with me. It's like I'm not even a guy. These are things you tell your girlfriends.
What really annoys is how cruddy these guys treat her and she still considers going with them. I'm the nicest guy in the world. Maybe guys like me just don't fit in anymore. We're good for rides, a cup of coffee, a quick hug. And we end up going to movies alone.
I even sometimes hold the door open.
I'm discovering that perhaps this is for the best. After a certain point I see I have nothing left to talk about. I'm not terribly charismatic. I just can't sit there and be cool and say nothing and have the woman be happy. I have to provide witty comments, sage wisdom, riveting stories or I'm extraneous. What's the point? I'm better off going for long walks and thinking of my next project. There's always a next project.
You need to get married, they always say. But of course not to them, never to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment