Monday, February 29, 2016

Roadie Blues

I was a roadie for Bruce for over 40 years. I started unconsciously imitating him. I squinted a lot and my voice got raspy. He was such a force.
But as time went on, he toured less and less. I should not have been surprised when I got my layoff notice, but I was shocked. A way of life gone in a moment.
I had to go out and find a new boss. Well, it didn't take me long. She can be brusque and shrill. Wears those out of style pants suits.
My job is to make sure her phone is charged and her ever present husband isn't rubbing people the wrong way. He's very hands on.
Bruce called the other day. I let it go to voice mail. He's a dynamic performer, but I have a chance to go to the White House with this one. I do find my voice sounding shriller than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment