Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Hopelessly Devoted to Fabric

I have as much testosterone as anyone. State wrestling champion. Guzzle beer. Burp, fart, pick my ears.
So why am I hopelessly devoted to fabric?
All kinds of fabric. Dacron, Rayon, Orlon, silk, lace, latex, corduroy, fleece, spandex,cotton, wool.
I don't design clothes, but collecting fabric is my obsession. Every room piled high with material. I'll roll around in it. Maybe not leave the house for days. Layers and layers.
Art and craft stores have banned me for sniffing fabric. My photo is above the counter with the caption, Impulsive Fabric Sniffer. I look dazed and desperate.
The low point came during a visit to my friend Virginia. We were having tea and she had run out of milk. In the time it took for her to go to the corner to get some, I attacked her closet. She found me with my face buried in a house dress. She is liberal minded and accepted my apology. Even loaned me a fleece robe she hardly wore. I sobbed in gratitude, but I knew, sweet as she was, this lady was an enabler.

No comments:

Post a Comment