Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Domino Ghost

My domino team had gone to sleep upstairs. It was my shift to guard our unfinished construction. We were trying to break the world record set in 1958 by August Behrens and his Austrian team--28,453. A bridge and tunnel construction that covered a football field. We were somewhere around 25,000 and getting more tense as we drew closer to immortality. Ours was the Pulaski Skyway.
You can't just leave your domino masterpiece unguarded. Domino terrorists roam the country creating destruction out of beauty.
A little after 3am, my eyelids drooping, I heard a sound behind me. I jumped and whirled. Shadows, only shadows.
A few minutes later, another sound. This time I saw it. Recognized him by his portrait. August Behrens, bearded, fierce, hands reaching for my throat, raspy voice, fetid smell, telling me we would never break his record. I took a step back, stumbled and as I felt his cold fingers touch I knew I must stand my ground or our whole effort would collapse under my body.
"Would you like some coffee?" I asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment