Sunday, July 20, 2014

Time on My Hands

I was driving to the library and saw a woman in an apron pacing outside her business. I hate seeing small business people not busy. I imagine them agonizing over paying the rent. I want to buy whatever they're selling.
My dad had a fruit and vegetable store for awhile. I would stand outside, wanting to drag people in so he'd have customers. Kids with time on their hands are a teacher's worst nightmare.
I try never to be at loose ends because then I think too much, always a problem. Folding laundry calms me, but that only takes 10 minutes, including matching up my socks. Sometimes I combine this with sweeping and dusting.
I'll find myself walking somewhere and realize there is no real purpose involved. How many deodorant sticks do you need? I may panic and question the meaning of my life.
Phoning someone combats being at loose ends, but the other person also has to have time on their hands. Maybe I could start a business, employing people to stand around holding signs indicating they are free to spend time with others for a small fee. I'd take 30% off the top.
 I need to get away. How about exotic Turkey? But what if I get there and see shop owners pacing, waiting for customers. I'd buy huge amounts of food, drink, baubles, pastry out of guilt. I'd have to consume all of it before flying back, putting on 20 pounds. Which will make it harder to find people to spend time with me. Time to fold some laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment