Thursday, January 29, 2015

Closing one A.C. Moore

The A. C. Moore arts supply store near me is closing in April. No warning. I walked up to the cashier with two glass cases and my coupon and the elderly woman sadly pointed to the sign above the register informing us that store will no longer honor their coupons. I was speechless. Finally I stuttered, but if I spend $5 and you scan this I get a $10 gift certificate.
She just shook her head. I could sense those behind me getting restless, so I slunk away carrying the pieces, which I was going to paint, back to their shelf. I tried to gather myself in the parking lot, all the while processing how my life will change. I will have to drive 15 minutes on a highway to reach the next closest store, possible getting stuck in traffic or sliding off the road in bad weather.
Nothing is forever. I wanted to hug that cashier and offer sympathy. But she will get unemployment. Someday soon I will return and walk every inch of my beloved store, even the craft and yarn section. Not the scarves though. Scarves have no business in an art supply mecca.

No comments:

Post a Comment