Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Old Friend

I met an old friend from work this morning. He recognized me first. We, two retirees, sat in McDonalds and sipped coffee while catching up. I'm out of the PO eight years, he's out two. Both of us are happy to have made it through, although he got a serious neck injury which required two operations. He still has pain and walks slow, taking a disability.
He hurt himself loading a package. I was reminded of all the falls I took, any of which could have led to a similar injury. We discussed co-workers and bosses, focusing on one poor guy who retired and had a fatal heart attack two years later. He was found in his basement in the home he lived alone in. Who knows how long he lay there?
We promised to meet again in the future, but I think we covered everything in our 30 minute talk. That was a whole other life for me that provided a modest pension and not much else.

No comments:

Post a Comment