Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Embarrassment

In 1977 as a mailman, I was being walked by my supervisor in Hoboken. No mail truck, just a push cart. We were having a nice chat as I made my deliveries. When I got to the end of the block I saw that the house number did not match the address on the envelope.
 In fact, there was no such house number. It was then that I looked closer and realized I was delivering Garden Street's mail on Bloomfield Street. In my defense, the streets in Hoboken look alike. I had turned down the wrong street.
My supervisor seemed just as embarrassed as me. He said only something about, this is why people lose confidence in the Post Office.
I went back and got all the mis-delivered mail and no further screw ups occurred.
A few months later I transferred out and into another office where I had a jeep and none of the streets looked alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment