Sunday, September 4, 2011

M&M

I think parents' biggest responsibility is to prepare kids for life. In many instances, this is not happening. Take the other night. I was about to see a free outdoor screening of "Mary Poppins". I had successfully avoided this blockbuster for almost fifty years, but this was a freebie, the night was balmy and I was in the mood to be simply entertained.
Just before the film began, the MC announced that there were free M&M packs available at the publicity table, especially for kids. Note, they never specified they were ONLY for kids. So I made my way over there--okay, I walked crisply--and, sure enough, boxes of these precious items were being split open by four volunteers. Naturally some of the kids got there first--tykes can run fast over grass--but I was able to calmly wait my turn, smiling and patient. Except when I put out my hand, this woman scowls and says they were only for the kids. As I mentioned, that was never specified.
I did what mature adults do. I held my temper and moved laterally to the next volunteer. Did I push kids out of the way? Push is a strong word. A possible elbow may have ensued. But I got my candy. This is a life lesson kids must learn. Get there fast, maneuver for position, grab anything grabbable, say thank you if there's time and scoot away. I wasn't proud, but I wasn't exactly ashamed either. Now if it were Skittles, my behavior could have been criticized because you simply cannot compare M&Ms with Skittles. Don't embarrass yourself by trying.
During the movie, the very kids who were supposed to be watching were running around making noise. Not enough to prevent me from realizing Julie Andrews was pretty hot back then, but still annoying. Of course the parents let them do what they wanted. I had my dart gun with me and I was tempted. But perhaps the squeaky clean film being shown kept me from using it. If it were a Steven Segal flick I can't promise I would have restrained myself. I ate only twenty two M&Ms before stopping, the mature response.

No comments:

Post a Comment