Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pedestrian

The police car slowed as it pulled up next to Walter. "May I speak to you, sir?" the cop asked politely. Walter had always been taught to obey policemen and in his 48 years he followed that policy, though his interactions with the law were few. He walked over to the patrol car and smiled rather weakly.
"May I ask what you're doing?" the cop inquired. "Walking for my health," Walter answered, nodding reflexively, as though this made all the sense in the world.
"Are you new in town?"
"Two weeks ago I moved here from Pennsylvania. Allentown to be exact."
I'd like to see some ID."
"I don't have my wallet with me. I live at 278 Milburn Court."
"So you say. Why would you leave your wallet home?"
"I was only going to be gone an hour. A straight line to the park and a few times around the lake, then back home. What is this all about?"
"We got a call. You fit the description. A middle aged man moseying along. A stranger. We have to follow up. You understand."
"Actually I don't. I take issue with your description of moseying. I was moving at a good pace."
"Your head was swiveling. Checking out homes."
"This town is known for its beauty. Surely you don't expect me to stare straight ahead the entire time."
"What I expect is for you to explain why you aren't working."
Walter  began to shake with anger. "This is my day off. I'm a doorman at a reputable building in the city."
"Doormen must make more than I realized."
"Officer, I've been cooperative. I'd like to continue with my walk."
The cop took out a pad. "I need a last name."
"Krasner. Walter Krasner."
"I'm going to give you some advice, Mr. Krasner. When you go for your little walks, use hand weights and pump those arms. Look straight ahead. Don't be checking out the neighborhood. We have three gyms in our town. Think about joining one. One more thing. When you're circling our lake...be careful how you interact with our water fowl. We have citizens on alert. You're not in Penn any more. This is Jersey."
The cop drove off. Walter looked down at his sneakers. He wanted to return home, but he knew if he reversed direction he'd be stopped again. He made a mental note to buy some hand weights and headed toward the park, walking a bit faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment