Saturday, July 13, 2013

Tap Dancing

For a few crazed moments I considered heading to Times Square today to  see an attempt at a world record number of tap dancers. I did this last year, possibly because I have no life. I still have no life, but get tired faster now. So I skipped the event and tomorrow the papers have one photo documenting it and I'll feel like I missed out. Maybe.
I have nothing against professional tap dancers. It's the amateurs who pop up for these events who I resent. They show up with their tap shoes and God know what outfit, looking like Dali creatures. The music starts and they proceed to display exactly why they make a living spackling and putting up dry wall. It's either aggressive ugly or timid ugly. But it is indeed ugly.
Why do untalented people insist on performing for us? So what if it's all in fun. How dare they mix fun and high culture. The crowds are, of course, dense because it's free and that alone draws hundreds. And certainly this will end up on You Tube, as do the April pillow fights held in parks. But there is logic and meaning in pillow fights. Letting out rage and frustration. Watching a gang of bad tap dancers may lead to fury which can't be sated. Next year they should combine the tap dancers and the pillow fighters for some real action.
You can't tap dance on loose feathers, can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment