Monday, September 2, 2013

Hallucination

I was leaving my bathroom, walking to the kitchen, When I saw Myrna Loy sitting at my table sipping black coffee.
"Are you going to take the case or not?" she asked in that snappy tone.
She flashed her eyes and tossed back her hair.
"What are you doing in my kitchen?"
"I'm your wife, silly. Tie that robe. You must start going to the gym. Your belly, my dear. You haven't done a thing but drink for weeks."
I reached up and felt a thin mustache that wasn't there last night. I did the sensible thing. I responded as William Powell playing The Thin Man.
"My dear, I married you for your money, not your advice."
She frowned as I took a seat.
"The police are baffled; a man is dead, shot three times. There are no clues, no suspects. What happened to the bloodhound I married? You don't even shave anymore."
"I shaved two days ago."
I took a long sip of juice, pretending to have a hangover like Powell's character.

Excerpted from "Hallucination", one of 40 flash fiction pieces included in The Story Eaters, available on Amazon. Joe Del Priore

No comments:

Post a Comment