Monday, September 30, 2013

Lost in Brooklyn

I took the wrong damn train. I took the C train instead of the 2 or 3. How many times, 8, 10, have I gone to Atlantic Antics, the 30 block mammoth street fair in Brooklyn every fall? This A train flew right past Layfayette all the way to Nostrand.
I got off and pressed the info button on a post, asked how to get to Atlantic from where I was. You're two blocks away, I was told. So I figured I'd walk upstairs and find it in seconds. Wrong. I wound up on Fulton, kept walking, eventually asked someone in Applebee for directions and was told Atlantic was just two blocks up to my right.
Well, I found it and began walking, looking for Barclays, which rises into the sky & is the starting point of the fair. For some reason I thought I was going the wrong way. So I doubled back and kept walking and walking, following the raised tracks of the LI railroad. No one informed me Atlantic goes on for miles and miles.
I finally asked a cop, who directed me to a Utica subway stop which would take me back. Naturally I walked right past it to Malcolm X BLVD. By this time I had to pee bad. I heard gospel singing coming from Baptist churches. A man redirected me to the station. Of course the A train once again flew past Layfayette, but I got off at Metro Tech, where I raced to a Five Guys and peed for 15 minutes easy.
Now I knew where I was and quickly found the fair, where I spent two hours walking up and down within a horde of others, getting smacked by backpacks and strollers and feeling lucky to be in familiar  territory.
No one from New Jersey should ever get lost in Brooklyn. At least I kept my composure. Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment