Sunday, September 6, 2015

Say Anything

It was a Saturday night in early September. The last of the free weekly concerts/movies was taking place at a local park. I set up my folding chair, placed my light jacket across the back in case it got chilly. I got my chips and diet berry Snapple and a roll of Rolo chocolates. I had my thick book to finish for a discussion the following week. I was all set.
Before opening my book, I noticed sitting off to my left, a young Asian couple. They were staring straight ahead, not speaking or hugging. Periodically, I'd sneak a peek and saw neither changed position. It was as if they were strangers.
I assumed they had been going together for some time and there were no more discoveries to make, no mysteries to solve. No secrets to reveal.
Perhaps if another couple was along the difficulties of conversation would have been overcome. Or maybe the result was four people sitting on a bench staring at nothing on a Saturday night in the prime of their lives.
How do married couples keep from going quietly insane?

No comments:

Post a Comment