Saturday, October 8, 2011

Library Movies

Library movies are great because they're free. Since it's mostly older folks in attendance, they keep at least one light on for the scary movies. Some libraries have refreshments, but you have to get there early. Old people love their tea and coffee and snacks and can move pretty fast when they have to.
Recently I went to see a movie on a Thursday night at a local library. It was an Indian film and before it began I got into an intelligent conversation with a woman seated a row in front of me. Actually we were the only two who showed up. We surmised the Jewish holiday accounted for the dearth of attendees.
As I say, we talked for a good twenty minutes, as the janitor, who was in charge of setting up the DVD, thought we should wait a bit longer in case someone else showed up. When the film finally began it had subtitles, lots of music, a young couple in love and was beautifully shot, with most scenes at night.
About forty minutes in, we heard a clicking noise and suddenly the picture went out. The sound was still good, but since there were no subtitles without the picture all we heard were characters making unintelligible conversation. Taking charge, as the man must do, I quickly found the janitor, a young man with adolescent hair falling across his forehead.
He took his position seriously, stood there clicking the remote at the overhead DVD player to no avail. He got on a ladder and began monkeying with wires. I suggested he change the battery. He nodded in agreement, left and came back with a new battery. The picture still remained dark. By this time both myself and the woman kept assuring him it was okay, not his fault, we'd leave and call it one of those things.
He just kept shaking his head and proclaiming he would fix this. So much time had passed by then that even if he got everything fixed, the movie wouldn't end until well after the library had closed. He was becoming very agitated; this was an affront to his efficiency. I sensed he would be there all night by himself fiddling with it. He might break down into tears. I couldn't handle that. So I said goodbye and left. The woman was a few steps behind me. Outside we smiled and went in opposite directions. I never got her name. I think both of us sensed that janitor had an element of Jim Carrey in The Cable Guy within him. It wouldn't surprise me if he wound beating the DVD player like a pinata and punching a hole in the piano, which sat there minding its own business.

No comments:

Post a Comment