Saturday, October 29, 2011

Mitigating Circumstances

I was at my doctor's and had to do #2. I've been seeing him, and now his son, for twenty three years and we've had a good relationship. Hell, I'm still breathing.
I was on edge because I was getting blood work results. This affects my digestion, so I had to use the facilities. Well, to my surprise, the toilet wouldn't flush. After I lifted the lid and checked to see if the flap was in the up position (it wasn't) I monkeyed with the pressure valve to no avail. A plunger is useless without water flowing in. Strangely, water was flowing through the hose, but not getting into the tank.
I quietly notified the receptionist who told the doctor and his son. Among the three of us we had about sixty years of formal education and we had no idea what was wrong or how to fix it. So up went the Out of Order sign and I felt for those following me with appointments who had to go.
It was only after I'd showered next morning that I realized the temporary solution was simple. Fill cups from the faucet and pour them into the tank until it fills up. Then flush. In my defense, I wasn't focusing because of worry over blood work results. I have no excuse for my physicians' brain lock.

No comments:

Post a Comment