Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Upcoming Book Fair

This Saturday I am participating in a local book fair again. The last one, two months ago, resulted in zero sales. It is supposed to rain most of the day. I will not get my hopes up this time. They are providing free breakfast and lunch. Tell you what. If I show up and they tell me it's cancelled due to weather, they'd better still come up with the food. Plus I'm promised a parking pass, which I will keep and use for the next five years.
All of us authors set up our books and posters wearing hopeful expressions. We psyche ourselves up to talk to interested readers, intellectuals, students seeking discovery. Usually all we get are tired parents with bored kids and oldies with no discretionary income who are just looking to talk to someone. And talk and talk.
There are going to be tents, which will help. I'm scheduled to read from my work, which is always difficult. I need to practice breath control. I will wear a wrinkle free shirt and clean socks. I will smell good. So will my books.
So come to Hoboken on Saturday and if you have a nice smile I may share my breakfast with you. Not lunch, never lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment