Sunday, May 18, 2014

Bleeding on the Inside

They just let me flop around helplessly. This brutal masquerade of tempting me with goodies, only to stick a hook in my cheek. The humiliation of being yanked away from friends and family. The stench of beer and pizza, the haughty laughter, the sounds of entitlement. The aura of power.
The disdainful tone when they spout my name. Letting me bake in the sun, struggling to breathe, unable to blink because I have no eyelids.
These hard men and their women, playing raucous music, dancing salaciously, stepping on my prone body. Kicking me aside.  I may as well be part of the deck.
My expression does not change, but this carp is damaged in ways that go deep within my psyche. Yes, my identity has been ripped to shreds. I am, indeed, bleeding on the inside.
Damn fishermen.

No comments:

Post a Comment