Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Chance Encounter

She had wide feet with bunions. Let's get that out of the way. She didn't have to sit next to me while waiting for the Path train. There were two other open seats. When we got on the train she stood right next to me holding the same pole. There were plenty of other poles in that car. Plus overhead railing. But there she was with her blue nail polish and thin wrist.
Now let me make this clear. I did not drop my program from a show I had just attended on purpose. I even said I'd pick it up, but she beat me to it. So I thanked her and began scanning through my photos on my camera around my neck. I did this for many stops without looking up. I have great discipline in these circumstances. When I did look up for a micro second I saw she wa quite attractive in that mid twenties Seattle mode. Her eyes flashed at me and I looked away. I was doing nothing wrong, so I should have met her eyes and said something.
Maybe she should have asked me about the show I'd seen. Be that as it may, neither of us verbally engaged the rest of the trip.
Just before my stop, she sneezed. I said God bless you. She didn't even look at me or respond. I got off and never looked back.If you consider yourself a man, that is how you deal with near misses. Hey, she had her shot. The bunions wouldn't have been such a deal breaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment