Monday, August 4, 2014

Sing to the Bacon

This is a beautiful expression--sing to the bacon to bring out the flavor. Much better than my saying--breathe on the sausage.
I told my cousin Elroy to sing to the bacon and he leaned forward while it was sizzling in the pan. Before he'd gotten through one verse, the bacon sang back in the form of hot sparks that hit him in the cheek. He jumped back, tripped over a chair, grabbed the tablecloth and yanked down my french toast plate.
I helped him to his feet, both of us cursing up a storm. Aunt Lena came rushing in, alarmed at the howling. We slapped some Vaseline on his skin and gave him orange juice.
By this time the bacon had burnt, setting off the smoke alarm, causing neighbors to run into the street and call the fire department.
An hour later we were at Denny's where no one sings to the food except a stoned counter girl who was off key and oblivious to the pain she was causing.

No comments:

Post a Comment