Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Secrecy of Cantaloupe

Cantaloupe lies there challenging you. There is no way you can outsmart it. By sheer luck you cut it open at just the peak of ripeness. Most times you either cut too soon or too late when it's too mushy, mocking you with its mush. Cantaloupe is a cruel sleight of hand, sneaky fruit, unlike a veggie we call cucumber. Cucumber makes it clear if you don't consume it in six hours it will begin decaying. In twelve hours it becomes inedible. This is the deal veggie and human agree on.
Pineapples and avocados are also inscrutable. Examine the outer surface for hours and you will never determine if it can be swallowed. Tomatoes beg to be swallowed, especially plum and cherry. Eat me now, my life in this vegetable bin is intolerable!
I have placed my cantaloupe in a pot on the stove. It is now six days I've been watching it, occasionally pressing it with my thumb and index finger, seeking clues. I have determined that it is time to take my knife and address my melon. I have been told by dieticians honeydew and watermelon have too much sugar. By eliminating them from my diet I have knowingly placed all my melon ecstasy onto the cantaloupe. Hey, life isn't fair. If it were, French fries would have been replaced by sweet potato fries decades ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment