Monday, April 6, 2015

Mistaken Identity

He burst through the door and came right at me. I know you, he said. I stared and shook my head. Ralph, he said more urgently. My name is not Ralph I responded. This was in a Dunkin on Easter night. I was alone, sipping an ice tea.
No, he said, MY name is Ralph. You live over on Howard Street. I shook my head. Then maybe it's that bar up the block. I told hm I don;t drink. Years ago? I've never drank, I said. He was pot bellied, wearing a blue golf shirt. He was also missing some teeth.
I decided I could finish my tea in the car. I grabbed my hat and coat as he apologized. I don't want to upset you, he said. But I was up and gone, as he moved past me, perhaps to confront another 'friend.' Maybe he was looking for someone to buy him hash browns.
But what if he was right? What if, unknown-st to me, I was leading a double life? Maybe we were close friends. Maybe in my other life I was a bar rat.
Or..maybe this was Jesus on Easter, risen again and testing me. Did I really love my neighbor?

No comments:

Post a Comment