Saturday, April 4, 2015

The World is My Oyster

I can travel anywhere and feel I belong. I am comfortable in any situation. Let me give you a metaphor.
All sorts of hidden things happen within an oyster. We can't see or hear them. But open one up and there you have it--a perfect pearl.
In the same way, I don't look like much from the outside, but there is a cauldron of activity inside me. Not a pearl forming of course, but isn't there something to be said for kidney stones?
I soak up the world around me, moving freely, snapping my fingers to my own beat.
Which leads to the question--why can't clams make pearls? Are they so disconnected from their environment that the process evades them? No, the world is not any clam's oyster.
Don't get me started on lobsters, who lack kidneys, or mussels or shrimp or baby shrimp or, God help us, squid. This is why we have men with large nets.
I've given you a splendid metaphor you can take home and impress your family with. All you have to do is look wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment