Thursday, May 28, 2015

Driving Test

 Was it 50 years ago I passed my driving test on the second try? Now I was an adult. The first time I took it I smacked into a couple of cones parallel parking. I had gone to a driving school and paid good money to ace the test. My instruction was surprised I failed. I wasn't. I knew those cones hated me.
When I finally passed a couple of weeks later it was a relief. But I knew I had no intention of doing serious driving for many years. Once a week I took out my dad's car for a ten minute drive around the neighborhood.
If I had close friends back then driving would have been more important to me.  But I was a reader and a writer first and foremost.
Now I drive all over except on highways. I drive defensively like an old man because I'm an old man, sliding into senility. But I can stop on a dime.

No comments:

Post a Comment