Saturday, November 5, 2016

Pole Vaulter

Here I am launching my approach, carrying this pole. The stands are packed with young women I want to impress. And why shouldn't I? This is a sport that combines power and grace.
Now I'm halfway down the runway picking up speed. I love how the pole balances in my hands. We vaulters leaves earthly confines and explore the heavens. I must make sure my takeoff is accurate to the inch. I plant and push off in one powerful motion. The pole bends and bends backward until I am almost parallel to the ground. Then I spring forward using torque and kick my legs up and put, twisting my torso.
I hope Mary is watching. I have a crush on her, but can't find the words.
Now I release the pole and pray my momentum carries me over.
What the hell? My back foot touches the bar and it drops to the mat simultaneously with me. The crowd moans. I lay there.
I hate this sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment