Saturday, November 5, 2016

Tuesday Weld

I sit in the abandoned barracks writing a film review for a small weekly newspaper. It is the early seventies and I joined the Army Reserves like others to get out of Vietnam. It is a late fall Saturday and none of us has anything to do, so we hide after roll call just in case someone decides we should wash the trucks which hardly ever move. This is my hiding place alone.
I am trying to remember everything I can about the movie because I left my notes home. It starred Tuesday Weld and boy, do I wish she were here cuddling with me. I can hear traffic from the Turnpike and not much else. At noon we drive off to lunch at some fast food place. By one, we stand for another roll call. Then it's back into hiding until four. One weekend a month for six years.
The thought occurs--if I have a stroke I could just lie here decomposing.

No comments:

Post a Comment