Wednesday, February 20, 2019

You First

Sophie and Steve, age twelve, faced each other. You first, Steve said. She sighed, reached down and removed a sneaker. Steve did the same. She removed a ribbon from her hair. That doesn't count, he said. I say it does, she replied.
He frowned and removed his belt. Sophie removed one sock. So did Steve. She took off a bracelet, making Steve angry. At this rate we'll never get naked, he complained. Lower your voice, she whispered. We're supposed to be doing homework.
Steve grunted and removed both his t-shirt and undershirt. I haven't seen your other foot, she said. It's the same as the first one, he hissed. Don't hiss at me, she hissed.
Take something off, he ordered. Wait, she said, what is that on your chest? A wart, he answered. Disgusting, she whined. Like you're perfect, Sophie? That is an ingrown toenail. What else are you hiding?
Whose idea was this? she asked. Both of us decided. Well, Steve, I changed my mind. You can't do that. A girl can change her mind.
Steve paced, thinking. Can I just have a peek? Sophie considered this. Only if I get a peek at yours.
So they each peeked at the others. They screeched, DISGUSTING!
Everything all right up there, Sophie's mom called.

No comments:

Post a Comment