Sunday, August 25, 2019

Soaked

A free outdoor Hoboken concert was cut short because of a threat of rain. We moaned and refused to believe it, though clouds had gathered. I said goodbye to a couple of friends and headed to my car, parked about seven blocks away. On Washington Street sidewalks were full of people walking and dining at outdoor tables. Ridiculous the music was cut short.
I walked one block up to Sixth St., turned left as a few sprinkles fell. Within ten steps  all hell broke loose. A torrent came down. I opened my umbrella and tried walking into a vicious wind. I made it two more blocks before finding shelter under the entrance to a closed business where I remained for a goood ten munites.
I did not panic. I recalled all I had been through in my life, including hair loss, and adopted a logical attitude. I am 175 pounds of rock hard muscle. No rain is going to cower me.
Eventually it slowed and I was able to get to my car and drive home. Yes, I was pretty wet and changed clothes. I could look myself in the mirror. In a possible crisis I had remained calm. Besides, my underwear was so wet, you couldn't tell if I'd peed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment