Thursday, September 15, 2011

Book Club Angst

I'm in nine book discussion groups and I'm falling behind. I set this challenge for myself because I don't like bungee jumping, deep sea snorkeling or cannoli eating contests. It's not going well. One week before my Hoboken session I got the book from the library & it was a 600 page novel on witchcraft. I gave it right back. Passage to India I finished, but a Dr. appt. will cause me to miss the first half hour, which means people will glare at me when I arrive. True Grit was an easy read, but that wind & rain out there might keep me home. I gave up after 60 pages on the Ben Franklin bio for Ridgewood, but completed the Antonia Fraser memoir of her life with Harold Pinter for Teaneck. I can't forgive her for leaving a husband & six kids for some playwright. My Tenafly group went smoothly through its contemporary fiction novel and I actually got a word in. My Secaucus group gave me three books to read for fun. I have no time for that, but I accepted them anyway. Meanwhile, hardly anyone is buying my book, Twilight People. I am facilitating an Edgewater group, using Katherine Mansfield stories, which means I'll have to skip my Glen Rock group, led by two young librarians who may decide to ban me for poor attendance. My North Bergen group I skipped because my back went out from carrying around all these books. I am so well read it's disgusting. It's still easier than a triathlon.

No comments:

Post a Comment