Friday, September 2, 2011

moping and sulking

There is a basic difference between moping and sulking. Moping is a general malaise bordering on depression, but not quite there. Sulking springs from a single incident, leading to resentment. Some say mature adults shouldn't mope or sulk. I say go for it. I, myself, have mastered both moods for huge benefits. I have a way of looking down and hunching my shoulders, of walking slowly as though beaten and left for dead. I also have my far away look, my disgusted look, my victim look. I do lots of interesting things with my lips and eyebrows, frowning like Tom Selleck for reasons you have to guess.
Some parents have told me they mirror their kids in using these techniques to get what they want. I doubt that. Kids quickly master the guilt free sulk/mope to manipulate adults. Most adults have a moral center children lack, so it's really difficult for them to go around kicking things, refusing to make dinner and being uncommunicative, even surly in front of a five year old. Of course there are parents who realize they are in a steel cage death match from the moment their kids can reach a doorknob, and pull out all the stops to stay one step ahead. Our society is geared toward that philosophy--anticipate and act before the others sense what's happening. Sometimes moping and sulking are called for. Planting guilt in someone else for a perceived slight may be all that's left for some of us.
Which brings me to that party you're throwing, the one I haven't been invited to. The next time you run into me at Walgreen's expect an expression of hurt so deep you'll gasp in guilt. Serves you right. On the other hand, you have every right to sulk and mope because this entry is ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment