Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Disillusion

If I expect others to read my blog, I have to start reading theirs. Fair is fair. Here's my problem. What if their blogs are better than mine? What if people I always thought I was smarter than turn out to have deeper insights than me? What if much younger folks possess more wisdom? What if I conclude my entire blog is a farce, just a shallow exploration of arcane possibilities and meaningless observations? What if their blogs contain less rhetorical questions like these?
On the other hand, there may be those I've always respected as intelligent who turn out to be dumber than moss on their blogs, stating the obvious, repeating themselves, recounting endless, unfunny stories and anecdotes, whining about superficial stuff. I can never look at them in the same way. But isn't that the key with blogging? Never having to actually look someone in the face and letting them see you grimace at a bad pun or stupid opinion.
Recently I saw a man I've known for years, highly educated, verbally proficient, a good listener, a man who asks the right questions, probing deeply into the human psyche. He was crossing the street, carrying some bundles and his shirt was sticking out in the front. He looked disheveled, possibly homeless, unkempt. Actually he looked like me on one of my better days. I can never view him the same way again. I didn't beep to get his attention because what could I say? Tuck in your shirt, have some pride?
So I will make time to read blogs and battle my insecurities. Right now I have one follower, which reminds me of the movie High Noon, where everyone, including Lloyd Bridges, deserts Gary Cooper. No one wanted to be the only one helping him oppose that gang. I sense my one follower may feel the same if no one else joins.

No comments:

Post a Comment