Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Intolerance

Admittedly, I was still working on my craft, not fully confident of my skills. I'd only begun training a few weeks before. Bored with my life, disgusted with my choices, I decided to turn things around in dynamic fashion. I have always respected the work of Eugene O'Neill. He is the master, maybe our best dramatist. In addition, I've loved the work of Marcel Marceau as well. So I decided to combine both of my passions.
I thought I had the perfect audience. The protesters at Zuccotti Park, those Occupy Wall Street folks seemed open to free expression. That's what this protest is all about. Liberal minded, accepting, intelligent people are what drove our country forward and made us what we are. All I was seeking was quiet respect for my endeavor. Asking the drummers to take a break was perhaps my first mistake.
Whatever the cause, my attempt to perform a mime version of Long Day's Journey into Night was met with less than full enthusiasm by the contingent there. In fact, as soon as it became apparent I was a mime, protesters began tossing donated canned goods at me. Several fired paintball guns in my direction. As I backed away, instead of protecting me, police poked me with batons and shouted awful things. Then ordinary passersby on their way to work threw in a few kicks to my shins, not bothering to accept my explanation.
What has happened to appreciation of the classics? I never claimed to be truly adept at this new craft, but even Al Jolson had to start somewhere. I'm home icing down my bruises, contemplating my next move. Perhaps a mime interpretation of Chekhov. No one dislikes Chekhov, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment