Monday, November 28, 2011

Pop Up

I'm trying to access this movie The Lover on You Tube, but whenever I click on an excerpt a pop up ad for auto prices comes up. Stupidly, instead of ignoring it I click on it and it soon becomes evident I can't get rid of the damn thing. Not even clicking on cancel or the X.
I also thought I saved a book review I wrote into my documents, but when I went to send it as an email attachment it wasn't there. But I had backed it up on my flash drive. Before I could check on that I had to get rid of this pop up ad, which was preventing me from going to my email.
So I didn't panic. Okay, I panicked and brought it to Staples because I like their uniforms better than the Geek Squad. All these tech guys are the same. They look off to the side while you explain the problem, occasionally grunting. Anyway, when he turned it on, the ad was gone. I think I killed it when I shut down my laptop. But just in case, I let them keep it to do their $9.99 tune up. Next day when I picked it up, I still wasn't sure my document was saved. The guy, about 14 years old, showed me that it was right on the flash drive. I thanked him and left. Except when I got home I realized I didn't know how to get it from the flash drive to the documents. After several abortive tries, I finally figured it out. But then a warning popped up that my anti-virus protection had been disabled. I tried turning that on, but it wouldn't work. Once again I panicked, rushed back to Staples, where the same guy reinstalled the security system and told me I should run a virus check every single week because there were some nasty ones out there.
Everything is back to normal, except, well, I never got to see excerpts from that movie, which featured nudity and maybe it serves me right. I sure wish I had one of those Staples shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment