Monday, November 21, 2011

Small Business Saturday

I want to support Small Business Saturday on November 26. American Express gives you a $25 credit on your statement if you shop at one of the small businesses listed on Facebook in your zip code. The problem for me is there are no tap dancing schools nearby. I am perfectly willing to splurge the $25 on a small tap dancing school, but I won't travel 50 miles out of my way.
Another small business possibility is compost heap construction, but try finding an establishment that centers on that skill.
For that matter, a haiku cafe would be a perfect example of a cubbyhole battling the monster chain store poetry houses. You'll pay more for coffee and pastries, but the upside is getting to sit right up close to the poets.
There's a used shoe and slipper shop that's been fighting for survival, and God knows, I could use slippers, but not $25 worth.
 Another tiny boutique sells only pipe stems. The owner is charming, but I know only one person who smokes a pipe and she's quite satisfied with her stem. Garter Belts Unlimited, even with our help, is probably going under. Frank and Ethel's Insurance can't fight Mutual of Omaha. Mouthful, the colorful burrito joint, is gasping for air.
Such entrepreneurial courage should be rewarded with our support. But I fear it may be too little, too late. There should be a place for discount plastic surgery in our system.

No comments:

Post a Comment