Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Free Samples

Crumbs, they were crumbs. Not even one full cookie. Just lying there on a small plate waiting for me to gobble them. The two women behind me were engaged in an intense discussion of something about their town's school system. They weren't looking at the plate and I'll bet they had no intention of touching those crumbs.
At first all I did was take one of the crumbs. Was it a good concoction? It was exquisite. I'm just stating a fact, not creating a defense. Even if it were a mediocre cookie, my actions would not have changed. Perhaps I glanced around first. Customers sitting at tables were busy with their own thoughts or chewing their purchase. The two young people behind the counter were facing the other direction. Is conscience involved here? Should I have been thinking of other hungry patrons? Look at it from another view. What kind of Neanderthal would break up a free sample, leaving only crumbs. You see free food, you nod, smile, grab it and swallow in one shot, whether it be espresso, pie, dip, crackers or cheese, especially cheese.
There is no middle ground here. If those women were staring at the crumbs longingly (and I've known a few who would) I gladly would have stepped aside and offered the sample as a gentleman should. Now, if it were yogurt I would evaluate the situation differently.
I beat down guilt, savored the crumbs and left a 50 cent tip on a $2 tea. I dread a world without free samples almost as much as I dread a world minus multicultural street festivals, which contain samples up the kazoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment