Monday, May 28, 2012

Unfortunate Accident

We kept telling grandma to stay away from the barbecue families on Memorial Day. Our own family preferred to eat out, but we would get our exercise first by tossing around a Frisbee. I mean we pay taxes too and these are our parks as much as they belong to the barbecue people.
I'm sure there were times in our family when we barbecued, but none that I can remember. Grandpa swears he conducted a few, but he's sliding into dementia so that's not reliable. I don't see the big deal. People celebrate in their own way.
I have to admit Frisbee seems kind of silly to me. I'm 18 now and have moved on to more mature things like that strange Brazilian dancing/ fighting thing people do in the streets to drums. I've gotten pretty good at it, which was part of the problem this day. See, grandma wanted me to teach her how to do it and I gave some stupid excuse, mainly, you'll hurt yourself, grandma. I think she was trying to prove me wrong when she ran after a floating Frisbee and dove to grab it. Unfortunately, she landed atop this guy's barbecue spit. Burns over 30 % of her body. Lots of howling. A law suit by the man's family for ruining their Memorial Day. All that wasted meat.
At least we got to see a parade before disaster hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment