Thursday, May 10, 2012

Variety Pack

I had a choice. I could have played it safe. I could have chosen all the same crackers in one pack. Instead I went with the variety pack. Cream Cheese Chives. Whole Grain Cheddar Cheese. Toasty Peanut Butter. Toast Chee. Yes, all have O trans fat and no preservatives. I am not crazy reckless in my cracker choice. But I feel I have an obligation to myself and my readership not to play it safe.
It gets down to one question: how do you choose to live your life?
Are you walking into the supermarket with the idea that you will stick with something that has given you pleasure in the past, but has lost some of its newness and luster? Or are you going to tempt fate and challenge yourself to test new boundaries and give other options a chance? Most relationships revolve around the exact same question.
I'll state up front I'm not sure I'll enjoy the Cream Cheese Chives. I was never a cream cheese guy. I lean toward pepper jack, possibly the most masculine flavor in the cheese family. Cheddar, I can go either way with, especially if you toss in the wild card whole grain aspect. Both the Toasty and Toasty Chee, with peanut butter, of course, are right in my wheelhouse.
What happens if my overall experience with the variety pack is negative? I rethink my strategy without castigating myself. Life is all about taking chances. I worked through my initial qualms over cheddar cheese rice cakes, and eventually was able to wean myself away from caramel cakes to enjoy this new flavor.
Sometimes a man has to display courage in his life choices. Someday I know I'll find the spunk to leave home without a belt to hold up my pants. It's called living on the edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment