Friday, September 7, 2012

Miss Molly

I have nothing against Molly Ringwald. At one time I thought she was an interesting actress. Then she went to live in France and I lost interest. She still acts here and there. I believe she's on a cable show now.
My issue with her has to do with her writing. She released a collection of short stories. Now she has crossed over into my territory. Her publisher is Harper & Row. She got a review in the Times Book Review. Yes, the review was kind of negative, but these perks annoy me.
If we, as serious writers, have to compete with every celebrity or struggling celeb who decides to put out a book, we're sunk. Ringwald gets to appear at B&N to hawk her book. I can't even get in my local library. I mean this whole industry has become more about signing names than quality of writing. Soon Christina Ricci, Natalie Portman and Ryan Gosling will release tomes, novels, memoirs, poetry collections.
I'll tell you a secret about Ringwald. I saw a photo of her barefoot. She has chubby sausage toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment