Saturday, December 28, 2013

Gift Cards

I got two gift cards for Christmas, one for Amazon, one for Barnes & Noble. I love gift cards. They put all the decision making in my hands and I know I will spend hours and hours on Amazon deciding how I will employ my stash.
Last night I spent a good hour in B&N, browsing like a man with $50 to spend. From time to time, I removed the card from my pocket and caressed it. I began in the music section, which is shrinking as I write this. I decided to purchase only one CD and it was tough. A Lena Horne collection for $4.99? I've always preferred her over Billy Holiday. A Doris Day collection? I already had their only Weather Report CD. Others around me were also browsing, but I was certain my browsing was more selective.
I finally decided on a Dionne Warwick collection for $4.99. Every tune was a hit, no filler.
Then I headed to the discounted books, hoping to find a gem coffee table tome, maybe a photography exploration of the Ozarks. No such luck. I do not settle when it comes to coffee table books. It is how I judge others. That and their socks.
There were several intriguing new paperback fiction releases, but at $16, too pricey. An entire collection of Brad Thor's work got its own stand. I wish I had a name like that. My books would sell faster. Joseph Ulysses or Joe Moses. Like the sound.
I decided to forgo purchasing a book for now because I had about two hundred in my garage I haven't touched. I did learn they subtract the tax from your gift card, unacceptable in my opinion. Once this Obama care thing gets settled, Congress should examine that issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment